Race Report :: Max Ransley :: Outlaw Half Holkham :: June 2018

Outlaw Half Holkham – Sunday 1st July

So whilst all focus was quite rightly on the ATC Ironmen and women in Austria last weekend – Martin and I travelled up to Norfolk to take part in the Outlaw Half at Holkham.

It would be fair to say that I was under prepared for this event – life/ work/family commitments all taking priority over my training, excuses yes but a reality. I’d trained some but nowhere near as much as the expensive training plan suggested but I’m not one to give up or bail out, so went with the mentality “it’s a brick session and a test for IM70.3 Weymouth” which is later in the year.

Swim – Now I’d been told that the lake was known for being 3 parts duck poo and 1 part weeds but assumed that this was a wild exaggeration. It was not. The 5 minutes in the water before the start was vile and the smell… Well I’ll leave that to your imagination. Anyway, the start horn blew and I found a rhythm straight away and avoided fighting with the competitors around me whilst mentally blocking out the fact that I was swimming in a sewer. 1900m turned into 2100m and 42 minutes later I was exiting.

T1 – Out the water and handed a bottle of water straight away by the marshals – told this was because it was going to be warm but I think it was to distil the taste of the lake from my mouth! Over to my rack, wetsuit off and bike sorted with no dramas – not a particularly quick transition but ok. I’d spotted that Martin’s bike was gone, as he started in a different wave, so I knew he was out safe and away.

Ride –  57ish miles through some lovely undulating countryside – rode past Sandringham and saw some of the Queen’s horses, then into a headwind for 14 miles along the A184 which wasn’t great. Still no mechanicals, just good solid riding keeping a good pace with a low HR. Happy days! Saw Martin, who had just started the run, as I rode back into T2.

T2 – Slow as I needed to apply some sun lotion and have a wee. Now for the hard part, the run….

Run – x3 7km loops of hills during the hottest day of the year!

Prior to the race Martin and I discussed our plans for the run. He had a plan of 7min/KM and he found a pace and just kept going. I didn’t have a plan or pace as it turned out……..

Suffice to say I achieved a PW for my half marathon which involved a lot of walking, stopping at every station for water and stuffing my tri-suit with wet sponges to keep cool and ensuring that the lovely marshals with the sun tan lotion just kept covering me in it. The end finally came and I crossed the line in 6.46 (2.38 of that was the run).

Bragging Rights to Martin on this one – quicker by a minute overall – as of the both of us he was slightly better prepared having raced the brutal midnight marathon the week before?!? – a well-deserved win.

Despite the above, the event was well organised, supported and the location was stunning. I’d definitely recommend it.

Now to do some proper training for Weymouth.








Bookmark the permalink.